Martin Malmsten is from the LIBRIS department of the Royal Library of Sweden – LIBRIS being the discovery interface for the library.
Since joining as a software developer has been absorbed in to the world of library search and discovery. He played a major part in the build and launch of the latest LIBRIS search interface which has introduced under the surface some Semantic Web and Linked Data features.
We discuss his career, the use of User Centered Design & Iterative Development methodologies, the Semantic Web techniques and technologies he used, and their future applicability to the library domain.
Items discussed in our conversation:
- User-centered design and the next generation OPAC – a perfect match?
- RDF / Linked Data representations of cataloged data via LIBRIS:
- URI for the Royal Library – http://libris.kb.se/resource/library/S
- URI for the subject heading "Mödrar" (Mothers in English) – http://libris.kb.se/resource/auth/154863
- URI for August Strindberg – http://libris.kb.se/resource/auth/94541
- URI for the book "The difference Engine" – http://libris.kb.se/resource/bib/5060570
- The book "The difference Engine" in OpenLink RDF browser – http://demo.openlinksw.com/DAV/JS/rdfbrowser/index.html?uri=http%3A%2F%2Flibris.kb.se%2Fresource%2Fbib%2F5060570
- Cool URIs for the Semantic Web